NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Sweet corn is in season. If you are tired of making it the same old way, don’t miss this recipe! JBird Cocktails Executive Chef Ricky Garayua stopped by the CBS 2 studios to make Mexican Elote (corn on the cob).
MEXICAN ELOTE (Corn On The Cob)
Executive Chef Ricky Garayua
– 1tbsp smoked lime butter
– 2 tbsp grated cotija cheese
– 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
– 1 tbsp chipotle mayonnaise
– zest of 2 limes
– 1tbsp canola oil
– pinch of Mexican paprika
– 1 quart heavy cream
– fine sea salt to taste
– lime zest
– 1 cup mayo
– ½ dried chipotle
– 2 limes, juiced
Smoked Lime Butter
– Smoke heavy cream in a smoker with chicory wood chips for 25 minutes, stirring every 5minutes, or on a stovetop smoker for 4 to 6 minutes.
– Once smoked, cool cream to 40 degrees and place in a mixer on low to start with a wire attachment and slowly speed up to high until it separates, about 5min.
– Separate the whey from the butter. Place butter in a clean dish towel and squeeze excess whey out completely.
– Season butter to taste with fine sea salt.
– Add lime zest and mix thoroughly.
– Steep chipotle in hot tap water for 15minutes. Once rehydrated discard water, and finely mince chipotle.
– Add to mayo
– Add lime juice
– Steam corn in a pot of boiling salted water with the husk on, 4 minutes, and let cool.
– Remove husk and silk.
– Drizzle corn with canola oil and grill corn on all sides till lightly charred.
– Remove from heat and slather smoked lime butter with a pastry brush, drizzle with chipotle mayo, grate the Cotija cheese directly over corn, sprinkle on cilantro and garnish with Mexican paprika.