NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) - Sweet corn is in season. If you are tired of making it the same old way, don’t miss this recipe! JBird Cocktails Executive Chef Ricky Garayua stopped by the CBS 2 studios to make Mexican Elote (corn on the cob).
MEXICAN ELOTE (Corn On The Cob)
Executive Chef Ricky Garayua
- 1tbsp smoked lime butter
- 2 tbsp grated cotija cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp chipotle mayonnaise
- zest of 2 limes
- 1tbsp canola oil
- pinch of Mexican paprika
- 1 quart heavy cream
- fine sea salt to taste
- lime zest
- 1 cup mayo
- ½ dried chipotle
- 2 limes, juiced
Smoked Lime Butter
- Smoke heavy cream in a smoker with chicory wood chips for 25 minutes, stirring every 5minutes, or on a stovetop smoker for 4 to 6 minutes.
- Once smoked, cool cream to 40 degrees and place in a mixer on low to start with a wire attachment and slowly speed up to high until it separates, about 5min.
- Separate the whey from the butter. Place butter in a clean dish towel and squeeze excess whey out completely.
- Season butter to taste with fine sea salt.
- Add lime zest and mix thoroughly.
- Steep chipotle in hot tap water for 15minutes. Once rehydrated discard water, and finely mince chipotle.
- Add to mayo
- Add lime juice
- Steam corn in a pot of boiling salted water with the husk on, 4 minutes, and let cool.
- Remove husk and silk.
- Drizzle corn with canola oil and grill corn on all sides till lightly charred.
- Remove from heat and slather smoked lime butter with a pastry brush, drizzle with chipotle mayo, grate the Cotija cheese directly over corn, sprinkle on cilantro and garnish with Mexican paprika.