NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Chef Leah Cohen, a former Top Chef contestant, stopped by the CBS 2 studios with a recipe sure to whet your appetite.
For more information on Pig and Khao restaurant, click here.
Chef Leah Cohen’s Spring Rolls (Lumpia) Recipe
- 10oz ground pork
- 10oz ground beef
- 1/2 small onion minced
- 1 small carrot grated
- 3 scallionstops thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1tsp sesame oil
- 3 C oil for frying
- 2 1/2 tbs soy sauce
- 1.5 tbs ground black pepper
- 1 package lumpia spring roll wrappers.
- 1 Bottle of sweet Thai chili dipping sauce
1. In a large bowl, combine ground pork, ground beef, onion, carrot, minced garlic, and scallion.Make sure to completely mix everything. Knead the meat in the bowl Gradually blend in the soy sauce , black pepper, and sesame oil until ingredients are evenly distributed.
2. Lay out a few wrappers at a time on a flat surface, and place about 2 tablespoons of the filling in a line down the center of the wrapper. Make sure the filling is no thicker than your thumb, or the wrapper will cook faster than the meat. Take the bottom and top edges of the wrapper and fold them towards the center. Take the left and right sides, and fold them towards the center. Moisten the last edge of the wrapper to seal. Now repeat using the rest of the wrappers, and have hubby or the kids help you out.
3. Heat the oil in a deep-fryer or heavy skillet to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Fry 3 or 4 lumpia at a time. Fry for about 3 or 4 minutes, turning once. Lumpia are cooked through when they float, and the wrapper is golden brown. Cut in half or serve as is with dipping sauce.