2 In The Kitchen: Marc Murphy Cooks Up A Croque Monsieur
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Celebrity Chef Marc Murphy stopped by the CBS 2 studios to cook up the French classic Croque Monsieur and discuss Le Taste of France, New York’s first ever two day exhibition dedicated to French cuisine and the French way of life. It takes place Sept. 29-30.
For more information about Le Taste of France, click here.
Chef Marc Murphy
- makes1 1/3 cups
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons al purpose flour
- 2 cups milk, heated
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Melt butter in a small sauce pot. Add flour and cook , stirring constantly, over low heat, about 10 minutes. Add milk and nutmeg, whisking until smooth. Simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool and set aside
- 4 1-inch thick slices country bread
- 12 thin slices black forest ham, about 1/2 pound
- 1/2 pound gruyere, grated, about 2 cups
- 1/2 cup béchamel
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place three slices of ham on each slice of bread. Top with a thin layer of béchamel. Sprinkle gruyere equally on top of each sandwich. Season with ground black pepper. Place under the broiler until cheese is melted and golden brown.
For Croque Madam, top with a fried egg.