NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Jason Bay is here to stay, according to the New York Post.
Mets fans can forget about the franchise dumping its embattled outfielder and his $16 million price tag for next season, a team source told the Post, placing the chances of a release or spring training job competition at “zero.”
Bay, who hasn’t played since Saturday’s win over Miami, is batting .155 with eight home runs and 20 RBIs in 2012.
He’s hit just 26 homers since signing a four-year, $66 million deal with New York before the 2010 season — that’s 10 less than his 2009 total with the Boston Red Sox.
“It’s very hard to fail, but it happens every day,” Bay said, according to the Post. “It’s not something that you can take a couple of weeks off from and come back with a fresh outlook. This is something you have to grind through, and I take it very seriously.”
Though the oft-injured Bay was relegated to platoon duty last month, the Mets’ decision makers have “already resolved” to stay with him, the Post reported.
“Nobody wants to not have a job,” said Bay. “I’m hoping I can turn this around. I have been hoping that for a while. I understand there are scenarios, but this is my job and I take it very serious.”
What do you have to say about the Mets reportedly sticking with Bay? Be heard in the comments below!