NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — There will be tighter security this Saturday when high school students take the SATs.
The new measures, which will include validating a student’s identity at his or her designated test site, come in the wake of the cheating scandal that led to the arrests of 20 students on Long Island last year.
Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice, who called for the sweeping security measures, spoke to 1010 WINS about the changes on Thursday.
“The way the old system worked, it allowed cheaters to take a front seat to the kids who were playing by the rules. You just can’t have that in a system that is as competitive and important to a person’s future as college entrance exams,” Rice said.
Students will also be required to take the test at the center designated on their admission ticket and provide the name of the high school they attend. They will be subject to additional ID checks during the day, including when answer sheets are collected.
Walk-ins on the test day will not be allowed as well.
“All of these changes are meant to restore integrity to the college entrance exams process. Under the old rule, when there were no rules, no security in place whatsoever, honest kids were taking a back seat to cheaters,” Rice said.
Further security measures will also be required in March, when test-takers will need to upload their photos during the online registration process.
What do you think about the security measures? Share your thoughts in the comments section below…