Couple Injured As Fire Rips Through Spuyten Duyvil Apartment
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) - An elderly couple is in the hospital after they were seriously hurt when a morning fire tore through their apartment in the Spuyten Duyvil section of the Bronx.
WCBS 880′s Alex Silverman On The Story
The smell of wet ash was overpowering on Friday morning. The living room is black. There’s a charred bed frame and a telephone on the wall looks like it’s made of Silly Putty.
The super in the beige 12-story building on Kappock Street says the couple in their 80s has lived there for more than 50 years. They were the original tenants.
“He was very bad because his face was black from all the smoke. She could move, but he was not moving,” super Enrique Alcosta told WCBS 880 reporter Alex Silverman.
He said he thinks the man tried to put the fire out himself.
“I think it started from the air conditioner,” he said. “Because I can see the wires and everything melt this time from the window, in.”
FDNY has not confirmed that, nor have they confirmed what Silverman overheard investigators saying, which is that smoke detectors did not go off.
We cannot say what the condition of the couple is at this time.