2 In The Kitchen: Italian Caprese Salad
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Just in time for Columbus Day, Chef Shannon Ambrosio of the new web series Chefs Of Anarchy stopped by the CBS 2 studios with a twist on a classic Italian dish.
For more information, click here.
ITALIAN CAPRESE SALAD (MOZZARELLA AND TOMATO SALAD)
by Shannon Ambrosio
Equipment needed: digital scale, hand held immersion blender, eyedropper
2 grams agar agar (by weight)
2 cups vegetable oil
¾ cup water
2 cups fresh basil leaves
1.Put vegetable oil in the freezer for 30 minutes
2.Place basil and water in a blender and liquefy
3.In a pan, mix liquefied basil and agar agar with a hand held immersion blender then bring to a boil. Remove from heat and pour into heat proof bowl.
4.Fill eyedropper with mixture, then dribble into cold oil glass.
5.Using a slotted spoon, collect the caviar formed and put them in a glass of cold water to rinse. When ready to use remove from water with a slotted spoon.
6.Can be stored in airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days
Equipment: 6 quart stainless steel pot, large stainless steel mixing bowl, long handled wooden spoon, gloves (food grade)
5 ½ oz Salt (by weight)
1 gallon water
2 lbs. cheese curd cut into 1 inch squares (cows milk)
1. Add the salt to the water in a large pot and bring it to 160° F. Remove from heat
2. Place the cubed curd into the large mixing bowl and cover with hot water
3. Start stretching the curd with a wooden spoon until it becomes smooth.
4. While wearing tight fitting food grade gloves to prevent scolding your hands, form balls of any size and allow it to cool slowly in the liquid used to melt the curd.
5. Store wrapped in plastic or in a container with the brine (warm salted water) for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Equipment needed: Isi whipper, Nitrous Oxide (NO2) cream charges, Blender
10 fluid ounces of heavy cream
6 fluid ounces of pureed tomatoes (plum) Pinch of salt Pinch of finely ground black pepper Dash of extra virgin olive oil
1. In a blender add tomatoes, salt, pepper and olive oil. Blend until liquefied.
2. Pour heavy cream, and liquid tomato into 1 pint Isi whipper – charge with two Nitrous Oxide (NO2) cream charges – shake after each charge.