News

Stamford Officials Put Extra Focus On Annual Fire Prevention Week Following Christmas Day Fatal Fire

The remains of a house following a deadly fire - Stamford, CT (credit: CBS2)

The remains of a house following a deadly fire in Stamford, Conn. (credit: CBS 2)

STAMFORD, Conn. (CBSNewYork) – Stamford officials are using National Fire Prevention Week to remind residents of the importance of fire safety.

The added fire safety effort is also due in part to the Christmas Day fire last year that left three little girls and their grandparents dead.

The city of Stamford has since passed a law requiring working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors for every home in the city.

WCBS 880 Connecticut Bureau Chief Fran Schneidau reports

Officials determined that blaze was started by embers from an extinguished fire in the fireplace. The cause of death for all five was determined to be smoke inhalation.

There are two types of CO detectors, ionization and photoelectric. Experts say the photoelectric detectors sound sooner, alerting residents of elevated levels of carbon monoxide.

“A lot of people succumb to smoke from the carbon monoxide. That’s why the photoelectric is the best,” Stamford public safety director Ted Jankowski told WCBS 880 Connecticut Bureau Chief Fran Schneidau.

Jankowski also urged families to plan two escape routes in case of fire.

“The first step that they should actually do is make a map of their home. They should mark a door and window that can be used to get out of every room within the residence,” Jankowski said.

Fire officials recommend changing the batteries in smoke and CO detectors twice a year, using daylight saving time as the reminder to swap out for fresh batteries.

Madonna Badger and her boyfriend Michael Borcina survived the Christmas Day fire.

Badger’s parents, Lomer and Pauline Johnson, and her three daughters, 9-year-old Lily and 7-year-old twins Sarah and Grace, were killed.

Please share your comments below…