NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Pam O’Brien, the executive editor of Fitness magazine, says success in the kitchen is all about surrounding yourself with the right tools.
She stopped by The Couch to show us a few of the hottest kitchen gadgets on the market.
1. Prepara Market Fresh Colander Set
· This two-piece colander is genius! To prevent sogginess after rinsing berries or dirt-caked veggies, rinse them in the strainer part and then place it over the serving bowl. Not only is the bowl bright and fun, but the berries or veggies will keep draining so you wont encounter a soggy mess at the bottom.
· Its also BPA free, comes in a variety of colors and is dishwasher safe.
· Retails for $15; you can find it at prepara.com
2. Joseph Joseph Spaghetti Measure
· This innovative compact spaghetti measurer is a great tool in the kitchen because it provides an adjustable portion guide for one to four servings, making curbing carbs easier than ever.
· All you do is move the lever on the side to the correct serving size, measure the spaghetti and youre ready for dinner!
· Its also lightweight, and easy to store.
· Retails for $7; you can find it at JOSEPHJOSEPH.COM
3. Casabella Chop n Prep Bamboo Cutting Board
· When youre preparing food, its so important to keep food products, especially raw meat, separate from each other. Thats why I love using the Casabella Chopn Prep Bamboo cutting board. Each board is color-coded surface inserts-one each for meat, poultry, seafood, and veggies-to prevent cross-contamination.
· Each board is eco-friendly and the removable prep tray slides out and has angled end for easy pour and slide.
· Retails for $35; you can find it at broadwaypanhandler.com
4. Prepara Tabletop Mister
· Weve all been there-youre trying to eat a healthy salad and suddenly youve dousing it with too much dressing.
· The Prepara Tabletop Mister is great, because you can create your own oil mixtures and salad dressings so that you can control the amount you get on your greens.
· All you do is add in oil with dried herbs, peppercorn, or chilies and then you just spritz onto your salads, veggies and more.
· Retails for $20; you can find it at prepara.com
5. Chefn Mini Burger Machine
· This next product is amazing! The Chefn Mini Burger Machine makes perfectly portioned 2½-ounce patties. Because theyre only 97 calories apiece, this makes perfect slider patties for appetizers or snacks. So whether youre having a get together with friends or just making dinner for yourself, this is a great tool to to keep proportions in check.
· Its also easy to disassemble and clean, and dishwasher safe.
· Retails for $8; you can find it at chefn.com
6. Cuisinart Smart Stick Hand Blender
· This great hand help blender makes it easy to chop, blend, puree, and whip fruits, vegetable, and broth for mixing right into the pot or bowl of your choice.
· Its lightweight design makes it easy to use and it comes in a variety of colors.
· Retails for $35; you can find it at amazon.com