NEW YORK (WFAN) — Amid contract talks, the Mets are set to pick up David Wright’s $16 million option for 2013, according to CBSSports.com and WFAN baseball insider Jon Heyman.
The sides are “in negotiations on a long-term deal,” Heyman reported, though an agreement is unlikely before Wednesday’s option deadline.
The New York Daily News reported last week that Mets brass and Wright’s representatives had yet to discuss compensation — dollars or years — and were “still talking about when to really get talking.”
The Mets were expected to kick things off with an offer around $100 million, Heyman reported earlier this month.
Starter R.A. Dickey is also looking for an extension. The 37-year-old told the Newark Star-Ledger last month that he and Wright are something of a “package deal.”
Wright and Dickey have both expressed optimism about staying in Queens. Heading into the offseason, Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said retaining the team’s core players is “one of the key tenets of the approach we’re trying to take.”
Are you convinced a deal will get done? Be heard in the comments below!