Sandy Forces Postponement Of Greenwich Village Parade, Prompts Rescheduling Of Trick-Or-Treating
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) – As a result of Superstorm Sandy, many Halloween traditions in the Tri-State area will either not happen at all or be rescheduled.
In Manhattan, the Greenwich Village Halloween Parade has been called off for the first time in 39 years. It had been scheduled for 7 p.m. Wednesday.
The decision was made by the Office of Emergency Management and the NYPD, but Mayor Michael Bloomberg said the parade will still be held at an unspecified later date.
“We’ll work tomorrow and figure out what date makes sense, given the resources the city has,” Bloomberg said.
The parade is a staple and known for having a wide variety of costumes because everyone is welcome to march in it.
“We hope that everyone who would have come to the Parade is safe and that those who can volunteer to help out at one of the Emergency Outreach Centers near you,” organizers said on the parade’s website. “We will surely miss all of you!”
Meanwhile, towns across New Jersey are rescheduling Halloween festivities as much of the state remains in the dark after a devastating hybrid storm.
Some communities have already moved trick-or-treating hours to the weekend.
Gov. Chris Christie says he can’t imagine that it will be safe for kids to go out Wednesday in most parts of the state.
Christie said to expect an executive order later in the week rescheduling Halloween. Later Tuesday, the governor jokingly told reporters “it might even be funny to reschedule Halloween for Election Day.”
Do you know of any rescheduled Halloween festivities in your neighborhood? Please share them below.
(TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)