News

Police: Commack Woman Burned When Clothes Catch Fire From Gas Vapors

Generic Ambulance File Photo (credit: CBS 2)

Generic Ambulance File Photo (credit: CBS 2)

COMMACK, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) – Police in Suffolk County said a woman was seriously injured after her clothes caught fire from gas vapors Monday morning.

The 40-year-old Commack resident, who did not have power in her home, spilled some gas on her clothes and on the gas can when she went outside to fill up a generator, police said.

When she went inside to clean up, her clothes caught fire when gas vapors emanating from the can were ignited by a nearby candle, police said.

She was burned on her arms and back and taken to Stony Brook Hospital.