CBS2-Header-Logo WFAN 1010WINS WCBS tiny WLNYLogo

News

Overloaded Power Strip Blamed For N.J. Fire That Injured 2, Killed Dog

Fire generic image

TRI-STATE NEWS HEADLINES

From our newsroom to your inbox weekday mornings at 9AM.
Sign Up

UNION CITY, N.J. (CBSNewYork/AP) — An overloaded power strip plugged into a wall socket was blamed Sunday for sparking a fire at a Union City, N.J., apartment building that left two residents injured and a dog dead.

The fire broke out around 9 a.m. Saturday in a second-floor apartment, in the four-story building at 3501 Hudson Ave. in Union City, North Hudson Regional Fire and Rescue officials told the Jersey Journal.

The fire was mostly contained to the apartment where it started, and building residents were able to return to their homes later Saturday.

The power strip was blamed for the blaze, officials told the newspaper.

The dog that died was in the apartment where the fire broke out, the Jersey Journal reported.

Two residents were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation, but their injuries were not considered serious.

(TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)