News

Officials: Fire Erupts At Mount Vernon Home After Alcohol Spills Onto Hot Dirt Bike Motor

Generic fire (credit: Clip Art)

Generic fire (credit: Clip Art)

MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. (CBSNewYork/AP) – Officials say an unusual accident — alcohol spilling on a dirt bike’s hot motor — caused a Mount Vernon fire that left 14 people homeless and killed 12 pit bull puppies.

Thirteen adults and a teenager were living in the three-story house on Second Avenue. All escaped the fire uninjured.

Mount Vernon Fire Commissioner James Gleason told 1010 WINS the fire started around 7:30 p.m. Thursday night in the living room.

“A young boy 13 years of age brought in his dirt bike and the engine was still hot and they spilled alcohol on the engine which started the fire within the building,” Gleason said.

American Red Cross spokeswoman Carolyn Sherwin says the dead pups had apparently been bred at the home. They were caged.

Officials say three other dogs survived.

(TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)