School Safety Forum Held On Long Island
TRI-STATE NEWS HEADLINES
MELVILLE, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) – School and security officials met Wednesday in Melville on Long Island to discuss ways to improve school safety, in the wake of last month’s massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. that left 20 first graders and six adults dead.
Former New York State Homeland Security chief Michael Balboni delivered the keynote address at the school safety forum, where he described a number of measures that are under consideration.
“What we’re taking a look at is security solutions that are scalable, sustainable and cost-effective. There’s a reality – we’re in a financially…challenged environment,” Balboni told WCBS 880’s Sophia Hall.
Balboni discussed a lockdown system where all the classrooms automatically lock if there is a threat in the building and video technology.
“So that you know who’s entering your school. If there is an incident, get right to the police so that they know that they can respond immediately,” said Balboni.
“Can you lock all the doors, doors that are not supposed to be locked in case of a fire? Do you have instant communication capability by pushing a panic button? Is there a way that you can communicate within the school itself so that there’s a loud system that isn’t loud, it comes discretely, it says ‘there’s an active shooter, follow those protocols,'” Balboni added.
Educators and security experts came together to discuss everything from installing new cameras, lockdown systems and to remind everyone that if you see something, say something.
Sandy Hook had recently implemented new security measures before the shooting rampage.
Shortly after the rampage, the head of the National Rifle Association called for armed guards in every school in America. The NRA plan was swiftly condemned by lawmakers and others.
Please share your comments below…