Mets’ Alderson ‘Not Sure’ If He’ll Make Offer To Brian Wilson
New York Mets
Buy Mets Tickets
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – The Mets bullpen might have to make room for Brian Wilson — and his trademark beard.
Sandy Alderson confirmed to the New York Post that he took a look Saturday at Wilson, but the general manager was “not sure” if he would make an offer to the former San Francisco Giants closer.
Alderson said last week that he expected to add to the Mets’ relieving corps. The right-handed Wilson appeared in only two games last year before season-ending Tommy John surgery.
“It’s not as simple as line up the relievers and pick one,” a source told Newsday.
The Giants non-tendered Wilson, wary of doling out big bucks to the pitcher after his second career Tommy John procedure. Wilson, a three-time All-Star, became a household name during San Francisco’s World Series title run in 2010.
The 30-year-old has 171 saves, 163 recorded in a four-year span from 2008-11. He has a career 3.21 ERA with 340 strikeouts in 320 innings.
The Mets owe incumbent closer Frank Francisco $6.5 million in 2013. Francisco struggled at times in his first season in New York and underwent surgery this offseason to remove a bone chip in his right elbow. He’s expected to be ready for Opening Day.
The Mets also “haven’t ruled out bringing back righthander Jon Rauch,” Newsday reported.
Do you want Wilson or are you scared off by his elbow history? Be heard in the comments!