2 In The Kitchen: Breakfast Taco Recipe
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Jesse Kramer, founder of Brooklyn Taco (on Essex Street in Manhattan) stopped by the CBS 2 studios to cook up a breakfast taco.
For more information on Brooklyn Taco, click here.
Breakfast Taco by Brooklyn Taco
- Fork or whisk to beat eggs
- One non-stick pan for cooking eggs
- Rubber spatula for non-stick pan
- Cast iron or sauté pan for cooking chorizo
- A hot flat griddle or pan to cook tortillas
- Small soup pan to boil potatoes
8 Medium Eggs – Scrambled
6 Tablespoons of Whole Milk
2 large pinches of salt
B) Chorizo Mixture
1 tsp of corn oil or vegetable oil
2 Cups of Mexican-style Chorizo
½ Cup of diced potatoes (red-skinned, new or fingerling potatoes)
C) Poblano Peppers
1 Poblano pepper – stem and seeds removed
½ Cup of Cotija (Mexican grated cheese) or grated Parmesan cheese
½ Cup of Sour Cream or Mexican Crema
- Combine eggs, salt and milk, and whisk well. They should be an evenly mixed resembling a beautiful orange color.
- Boil the potatoes for about 4 or 6 minutes until soft, but not mushy. Remove from the water and add to chorizo mix.
- Roast Pepper in oven at 550 degrees for 7 minutes aside. The outer skin should appear slightly burned, which will allow you can peel it. Next, dice the poblanos.
- You can put the Poblano over an open flame, rotating it with tongs until all sides are burnt. Then, take a paper towel and wipe off the burnt skin, revealing a beautiful green flesh.
- Heat the chorizo pan on high for 30 seconds. Next add 1 teaspoon of oil, and the chorizo/potato mix. Cook until lightly crisped and golden brown. Turn off the heat.
- Add chopped poblanos to the non-stick pan and turn to low heat.
- After 2 minutes, add egg mixture and stir regularly until eggs are cooked (they should be soft, silky and moist, not dry and brown)
- Heat tortilla pan on high, add tortillas to the hot pan in pairs, so that one tortilla is stacked on top of each other – this adds durability to your breakfast taco. After 20 seconds, flip the tortillas and wait another 20 seconds. Now, you can put them on the plate and start building your tacos
- When composing the tacos, remember to portion the cooked ingredients evenly for four tacos.
- First, gently, scoop eggs onto the soft taco shell, add the chorizo/potato mix, and finish it with a light sprinkling of the cheese, and a light drizzle of the crema.