WOODCLIFF LAKE, N.J. (CBSNewYork) – Residents of the Sunrise Senior Living facility in Woodcliff Lake certainly have some guardian angels looking out for them.

At 2:35 in the morning, a dryer fire in the basement filled the Alzheimer’s wing with choking smoke.

“The first responding officers went into the rooms, evacuated people from the basement along with the assistance of the employees,” Police Captain Roger Caron told WCBS 880 reporter Sean Adams. “The fire department did a fantastic job. They were here. They jumped right in to help. So, it was a great team effort by everybody. At this point, nobody is critically injured.”

Two officers and four workers went to the hospital for smoke inhalation.

One resident suffered a stroke-related issue.

The fire was quickly extinguished and the residents allowed to return, thanks to this swift response.

More From CBS New York

CELEBRATING 50 YEARS
Get Our Morning Briefs

Watch & Listen LIVE