Cooking On The Couch: Super Barbecue Spread
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Sandwiches and wings are the staples of any Super Bowl party.
Glenn Rolnick, owner and chef of Virgil’s Real Barbecue in Times Square, visited The Couch to show us how to make a super down-home barbecue spread.
He whipped up wings and a Carolina Pulled Pork sandwich with mustard cole slaw. You can, too. Here are the recipes:
YIELD: 3 to 4 sandwiches
16 ounces pulled pork (smoked pork butt)
3 ounces Virgils BBQ sauce
2 tablespoons Virgils dry rub
1. Slowly smoke the pork butts for 12-14 hours.
2. When the pork is nice and tender, pull the meat off the bone and mix the pork with Virgils BBQ sauce and dry rub
MUSTARD COLE SLAW
SERVES: 3 to 4 people
1 pound shredded green cabbage
1.5 ounces shredded carrots
1 ½ ounces chopped bread and butter pickles
1 ½ ounces granulated sugar
1 ½ ounces Hellmans mayonnaise
1 ¼ ounces apple cider vinegar
½ teaspoon ground white pepper
Dash of white vinegar
Pinch of celery seeds
3 ounces Frenchs yellow mustard
1. Make dressing by combining sugar, mayonnaise, vinegars, mustard, white pepper and celery seeds in a small bowl.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine chopped cabbage, shredded carrots, and bread and butter pickles.
3. Add dressing to the cabbage mixture and let marinate for a few hours in the refrigerator before serving. Mix occasionally during this process.
Virgils BBQ Chicken Wings
YIELD: 15 chicken wings
15 chicken wings
4 ounces butter
3 ounces hot sauce
1.5 ounces Virgils dry rub
1 tsp. granulated garlic
1 tsp. granulated onion
11 tbsp sweet paprika
5 tbsp granulated sugar
3 tbsp chili powder
3 tbsp dried onion flakes
3 tbsp dried garlic flakes
3 tbsp dried parsley flakes
2 tbsp Kosher salt
Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl
1. Mix all items together and marinade chicken for 24 hours
2. Remove wings from marinade and place on a sheet pan. Sprinkle with the dry rub.
3. Bake wings on a sheet pan at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
4. Remove with oven and toss with hot sauce and butter.
5. Serve hot!