Cervelli Ready To Face Music Regarding PED Clinic, Will Speak To Reporters Next Week
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Yankees catcher Francisco Cervelli is one of the many players who has been linked to the Biogenesis clinic over the last week.
But unlike many of the others players involved — including fellow Bronx Bomber Alex Rodriguez — Cervelli has stated that he’s anxious to address the allegations.
“I want everybody there,” Cervelli said, according to the New York Daily News. “I want to do it one time.”
The 26-year-old said that he will talk to reporters about the matter next Wednesday at Steinbrenner Field, when reporters from every media outlet that covers the team can hear him speak.
Cervelli posted the following statement on Twitter on Tuesday night: “Following my foot injury in March 2011, I consulted with a number of experts, including BioGenesis Clinic, for legal ways to aid my rehab and recovery. I purchased supplements that I am certain were not prohibited by Major League Baseball.”
“That’s all I’ve got to say now,” Cervelli said.
The fourth-year player was optioned to Triple-A to begin the 2012 season, and was recalled to the big club on September 1. He only appeared in three games and went 0-for-1 with a walk and a run scored. He appeared in 93 games in 2010, batting .271 with no homers, 11 doubles and 38 RBIs.
“We’re going to talk on the 13th,” Cervelli told the newspaper. “I’m not running away from you guys (reporters).”
According to the New York Daily News, Cervelli drove past the club’s minor-league complex on Wednesday. He waved to reporters but didn’t stop to take questions.
“Sorry about yesterday,” the 6-foot-1, 210-pounder said. “I know you guys are doing your jobs and I respect that. We’re going to talk on the 13th.”
With Russell Martin having departed via free agency, Cervelli and Chris Stewart are expected to compete for the starting catcher job in spring training.
Do you think that Cervelli used PEDs, or do you believe him? Sound off with your thoughts and comments below…