NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Two more Catholic elementary schools have been added to the chopping block by the Archdiocese of New York, both of them on Staten Island.
St. Joseph School, 139 St. Mary Ave., and Immaculate Conception School, 104 Gordon St., will both close at in June after being declared “at risk” in January. The Archdiocese announced last month that it would also close 22 other elementary schools and two high schools.
St. Joseph School has an enrollment of 167 students, and Immaculate Conception enrolls 216 students.
The local Staten Island Regional Board of Trustees decided to close the schools after looking over an assortment of enrollment, financial and academic data. The announcement of plans to close the schools was delayed due to the effects of Superstorm Sandy on Staten Island, the Archdiocese said.
“These were difficult, but necessary decisions for Staten Island. However, with the Board of Trustees providing guidance in a regionalized system, we will have a broader base of financial support and skilled leadership to ensure our Catholic schools are stronger than ever,” Archdiocese Schools Supt. Dr. Timothy McNiff said in a news release.
St. Joseph and Immaculate Conception students will be welcomed at neighboring Catholic schools, the Archdiocese said.
• Annunciation School, 461 W. 131st St., Manhattan;
• Holy Cross School, 332 W. 43rd St., Manhattan
• Holy Name of Jesus School, 202 W. 97th St., Manhattan;
• St. James-St. Joseph Elementary School, 1 Monroe St., Manhattan;
• St. Jude School, 433 W. 204th St., Manhattan;
• Holy Spirit School, 1940 University Ave., The Bronx;
• Our Lady of Angels School, 2865 Claflin Ave., The Bronx;
• Our Lady of Mercy School, 2512 Marion Ave., The Bronx;
• St. Jerome School, 222 Alexander Ave., The Bronx;
• Blessed Sacrament School, 1160 Beach Ave, The Bronx;
• St. Anthony School, 1776 Mansion St., The Bronx;
• St. Mary Star of the Sea School, 580 Minneford Ave., The Bronx;
The schools slated for closing outside the city are:
• Holy Name of Jesus School, 2 Broadway, Valhalla;
• Our Lady of Fatima School, 963 Scarsdale Rd., Scarsdale;
• St. Casimir School, 259 Nepperhan Ave., Yonkers;
• Our Lady of the Assumption School, 920 First St., Peekskill;
• St. Theresa School, 300 Dalmeny Rd., Briarcliff Manor;
• St. Augustine School, 114 S. Main St., New City;
• St. Peter School, 21 Ridge St., Haverstraw;
• St. Joseph School, 242 Wall St., Kingston;
• St. Mary of the Snow School, 25 Cedar St., Saugerties.
St. Agnes Boys High School, 555 West End Ave. in Manhattan, and Blessed Sacrament-St. Gabriel High School, 24 Shea Pl. in New Rochelle, will also close.
Please leave your comments below…