NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – For Fat Tuesday, Chef Jesse Jones returned to the CBS 2 studios to cook up a festive treat.
For more information on Chef Jesse Jones, click here.
Yield 2 Quarts
- 3-4 lbs Rabbit legs
- 1/2 Grape-seed oil
- Wondra flour
- 1 cup Vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup onions, medium dice
- 1/2 cup Celery, medium dice
- 3/4 cup Green bell pepper, medium dice
- 3/4 cup Red bell pepper, medium dice
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon, Jalapeno
- 1 teaspoon, Oregano
- 1/2 tomato paste
- 1/2 cup Okra, sliced lightly ,Fried ( Optional)
- 2 quarts Rabbit Stock or chicken stock (homemade or store brought)
- 1 cup Andouille Sausage ( browned in a pan, reserve for later use)
- 1 dash File powder
Next day: Dredge rabbit legs in Wondra flour on both sides. In a heavy Dutch oven, heat oil and brown rabbit legs on both sides. Remove and drain on paper towels. Add 1 cup of oil to the pot, stir in 1 cup of flour, stir slowly to make a peanut butter color Roux, about 25 minutes.
Add onions, celery , peppers and garlic, Jalapeno, oregano, saute until vegetables are tender. Mix in tomato paste, about 5 minutes. Add fried okra, then the stock, and browned sausage, cook for 45 minutes or more, taste and adjust seasoning. Add File powder, when ready to serve.