2 In The Kitchen: Ring In The Chinese New Year With Pork Pot Stickers
NEW YORK(CBS2) – What better way to celebrate the Chinese New Year than by making dumplings?
Special guest Chef Brian Rey of Buddakan stopped by the CBS 2 studio to show us how to make pork pot stickers, and you can make them at home by following the recipe and instructions below.
For more information on Buddakan, click here.
Pork Pot Stickers Recipe
Courtesy of Buddakan
MAKES 30 DUMPLINGS
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 scallion, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- ½ cup jicama or water chestnut, finely chopped
- 4 cups Napa cabbage, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbs cilantro, minced
- 1 egg white
- 3 tbs oyster sauce
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 2 tbs cornstarch
- 2 tbs salt
- Fresh-ground black pepper
FOR THE DUMPLINGS
- 30 4 ½” round wonton wrappers
- ¼ cup vegetable oil, for frying
- ½ cup water
- Soy sauce or soy vinegar for serving (soy vinegar recipe below)
- Chili sauce, for serving (recipe below)
1. Combine all filling ingredients in a large nonreactive mixing bowl and mix by hand, aggressively slamming the mixture against the side of the bowl until thoroughly combined and very sticky.
2. Working one wrapper at a time, put a tablespoon of filling in the center of a wrapper. Brush water on one side of the circle. Holding the dumpling between the thumb and forefinger of your left hand (or right hand, if left-handed), use your dominant hand to pleat and seal the edges of the sealed dumpling. Stand sealed dumplings on an even surface, gently pressing to flatten their bottoms, and cover gently with a damp cloth or paper towel.
3. When all the dumplings are filled and sealed, heat the vegetable oil in a flat-bottomed, lidded skillet until hot but not smoking. Arrange half the dumplings flat-side down in the hot oil and cook, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Add the water, cover tightly with the lid, and reduce heat to medium. Cook 8-10 minutes, until all the liquid has evaporated and the dumplings are crisp on the bottom. Shake pan to loosen dumplings; turn out onto a plate and cover with foil. Repeat with remaining dumplings.
Serve warm with soy and chili sauce for dipping.
Recipe for Soy Vinegar
- Scallions, washed1 ea
- Ginger, peeled and sliced1 inch piece
- Water1 cup
- Sugar½ cup
- White Vinegar½ cup
- Sherry Vinegar½ cup
- Soy Sauce1 cup
Method: Bring the water, ginger and scallion to the boil. Combine remaining ingredients, bring to the boil. Steep and strain.
Recipe for Chili Paste
- Sambal1 part
- Siracha1 part