NYC Marks 20th Anniversary Of 1993 World Trade Center Bombing

For Those Impacted, The Day The North Tower Was Attacked Will Never Go Away

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A moment of silence was observed at the 9/11 memorial Tuesday to mark the 20th anniversary of the 1993 World Trade Center bombing.

A bell tolled at 12:18 p.m., the time when a truck bomb was detonated below the north tower — killing six people and injuring 1,000 more. Family members then read the names of the victims before bagpipers played “Amazing Grace.”


“Today we stop and remember the six innocent people killed in the World Trade Center attack two decades ago,” 9/11 Memorial President Joe Daniels said. “Like those lost in the 2001 attacks, the memory of each victim will be forever preserved at the Memorial and Museum for future generations. Their lives and the history of Feb. 26, 1993 will never be forgotten.”

About 50 people attended the ceremony, including Mayor Michael Bloomberg and former Mayor David Dinkins. Among them was Alan Reiss, who was the World Trade Center’s head engineer in 1993.

“It’s personal,” he said. “We want to rebuild this site for those who aren’t here.”

William Macko was killed in the attack. His family attended the ceremony on Tuesday.

“It’s a difficult day, it’s so important to remember my dad and the other people killed,” Michael Macko told WCBS 880’s Peter Haskell.

NYC Marks 20th Anniversary Of 1993 World Trade Center Bombing

The sister of victim Stephen Knapp also took part in the memorial ceremony on Tuesday.

“Twenty years later, it’s still like day one because I realize what his family has missed not having him around. He didn’t get to see his grandchildren, they didn’t get to experience the love of a grandfather and their daughter and son did not get to show their father what they achieved in life,” she told 1010 WINS’ Stan Brooks.

NYC Marks 20th Anniversary Of 1993 World Trade Center Bombing

Stephen Knapp Jr., struggled with his emotions as he remembered all too well watching and wondering about his father that day, from outside his high school in Hoboken, CBS 2’s Steve Langford reported.

“I saw the helicopters and the smoke and everything,” he said.

Steve Kern, a Port Authority employee, said it took three hours to get down the stairs that day.

“I was in my office on the 68th floor and suddenly all the power went out,” Kern said. “Jeez, am I going to get out of here and see my kids again?”

Jeannine Ali was on the 45th floor at the time of the bombing.

“It was chaotic,” she said in an oral history she recorded for the 9/11 Museum.

After seeing smoke pouring out of the vent, she headed out.

“The stairs were packed. You couldn’t walk down a step until the person in front of you walked down a step. I mean, we were literally back to back to back,” she said, noting that the stairwell had no lights.

'93 WTC Survivor Recalls The Day


More From CBS New York

Black History Month

Listen Live