NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Celebrity chef and restaurateur Michael Moore, who has cooked for Madonna, Mick Jagger, Elton John and Sean Connery stopped by the CBS 2 studios. After he suffered a major stroke, Moore wrote Blood Sugar cookbooks. He cooked up a healthy and delicious dish: Soft boiled egg dippers with potato hash and salt beef.
For more information on Chef Moore, click here.
Soft boiled egg dippers with potato hash & salt beef
- 6oz (175g) piece brined beef silverside or brisket
- ¼ of a small white cabbage, finely shredded
- sea salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- ½ medium onion
- ½ medium potato (Nicola)
- ½ medium sweet potato
- 1 fl oz (30ml) vegetable oil
- 8 large eggs at room temperature
- Whole-wheat toast to serve (not included in carb exchange)
1. Cook the silverside in a pot of lightly salted simmering water until tender for approximately 1 hour. Test by piercing with a small skewer. It should slide through the meat with no resistance. Remove from heat and allow beef to cool in the liquid. Once cool, use a fork to shred finely.
2. Meanwhile, cook the cabbage in a small pan just covered with cold water, a pinch of salt and the white vinegar. Bring to the boil and simmer until tender. Drain in a colander and set aside.
3. Using a coarse cheese grater shred the onion and potatoes into a bowl. Heat a medium-sized non-stick frying pan, add the vegetable oil and fry the potato and onion mixture for 10 minutes stirring frequently. Once the potato is tender add the drained cabbage and finely shredded salt beef. Continue to cook for a further 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, place eggs into a small pot of cold water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 4 minutes for runny eggs and 5 minutes for medium. Remove from the heat and place into egg cups for serving.
5. Cut the tops off the eggs and spoon as much of the cooked hash as you can onto each of them.
This is a great protein boost, especially for kids.
The dish is also good with shaved ham or turkey.