2 In the Kitchen: Perfect Passover Colorful Matzo Ball Soup
She’s the so-called Queen of Kosher! Just in time for Passover, Jamie Geller joins us to make tri-color matzo ball soup.
Perfect Passover Colorful Matzo Ball Soup with Julienne Vegetables
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 30-40 min
Ready Time: 40 min
Servings: 8 to 10 servings (about 25 matzo balls)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup seltzer
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup Matzo Meal
- 4 quarts Kosher for Passover Chicken Broth
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 1/8-inch julienne
- 1 large carrot, peeled, cut into 1/8-inch julienne
- 1 large daikon, peeled, cut into 1/8-inch julienne
- Fresh chopped parsley or dill, optional
In a medium mixing bowl beat eggs with a fork for 30 to 60 seconds.
Add seltzer and oil and beat together another 15 to 30 seconds.
Add matzo meal and mix together until just combined, don’t overmix. Cover and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until firm.
In a medium sized pot bring 3 quarts of well-salted water to a rolling boil. Reduce heat to a simmer.
With wet or well-oiled hands, form matzo balls by gently rolling a spoonful of matzo ball batter to approximately 1 to 2-inches in diameter in the palm of your hands.
Drop matzo balls carefully into simmering broth one at a time. Cover the pot and cook for 30 to 40 minutes.
- During the last 10 minutes of cooking add julienne vegetables.
- Ladle into soup bowls, garnish with fresh herbs and serve with a smile.