News

Conn. Attorney General Speaks Out Against Lawsuits Over Newtown Massacre

SWAT team members canvas the neighborhood where the Newtown school massacre killer lived with his mother on Dec. 14, 2012. (Photo: CBS 2)

SWAT team members canvas the neighborhood where the Newtown school massacre killer lived with his mother on Dec. 14, 2012. (Photo: CBS 2)

Tragedy In Newtown

HARTFORD, Conn. (CBSNewYork/AP) – Connecticut’s attorney general says he sees no basis for lawsuits against the state or Newtown over the shooting deaths last December of 20 children and six educators.

Attorney General George Jepsen said in an interview on WFSB-TV’s “Face the State” on Sunday that he believes there’s no basis to sue Connecticut for anything it may have done. He also said he doesn’t believe there’s a reasonable basis to sue Newtown.

A lawyer earlier this year withdrew a claim to sue the state for $100 million on behalf of a 6-year-old survivor of the Dec. 14 school massacre. However, attorney Irving Pinsky said he might refile.

He said he is reviewing new evidence on security at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

At the time he filed the suit in late December, Pinsky said the child suffered emotional and psychological trauma because the state failed to provide a safe setting.

Pinksy’s client, whom he calls “Jill Doe” in the claim, sustained “emotional and psychological trauma and injury” on Dec. 14 after gunman Adam Lanza gunned down 20 children and six adults inside in one of the deadliest school shootings in U.S. history.

Do you think lawsuits against the state are appropriate in this case? Sound off in the comments section below…

(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)