Shelton Library Seeks Person Who Poisoned Its Pet Snake
SHELTON, Conn. (CBSNewYork/AP) – Shelton officials are trying to solve the mystery of who killed a local library’s pet snake, which died last month after someone dumped a cleaning solvent in its glass enclosure.
The Connecticut Post reports that the death of Peaches the orange-colored corn snake has drawn dozens of online expressions of shock and dismay and has made children cry.
The snake was an attraction at the Huntington Branch Library for the past eight years.
“She did have a very distinct personality, we called her our ‘Library Diva,'” library director Shawn Fields told 1010 WINS. “She was wonderful for children so it’s a huge loss for us.”
Peaches suffered chemical burns and kidney damage when the solvent was dumped on it. Veterinarians tried to save the snake, but couldn’t.
Fields said town police are investigating the animal cruelty.
A local girl gave the snake to the library years ago because she was heading off to boarding school.
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)