News

Authorities Rule Parsippany Synagogue Fire An Accident

Congregation Shaya Ahavat Torah in Parsippany (file / credit: Congregation Shaya Ahavat Torah)

Congregation Shaya Ahavat Torah in Parsippany (file / credit: Congregation Shaya Ahavat Torah)

TRI-STATE NEWS HEADLINES

From our newsroom to your inbox weekday mornings at 9AM.
Sign Up

PARSIPPANY, N.J. (CBSNewYork/AP) - Authorities say the cause of a fire at a Parsippany synagogue was accidental.

Members of Congregation Shaya Ahavat Torah smelled smoke when they arrived for Rosh Chodesh service on Thursday. No one was injured.

Parsippany police tell the Daily Record of Parsippany the fire started when a sump pump malfunctioned and its electrical cord overheated.

The synagogue’s garage was damaged.

The 40-member congregation will hold services in a private home this weekend.

 

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)