NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Have a delightful breakfast with Chef Emil Castillo’s decadent French toast recipe. Chef Castillo, who works at Norma’s Restaurant at Le Parker Meridien Hotel, stopped by the CBS 2 studios to show us how it’s done.
For more information about Le Parker Meridien, click here.
Chocolate Decadence French Toast
- Chocolate Yogurt Loaf (or store bought chocolate pound cake)
- Strawberry Nut Sauce
- Devonshire Cream
- Chocolate Sauce
- French Toast Batter
- French Toast
Chocolate Yogurt Loaf (if making your own, prepare the previous day)
- 1 ½ cups of sugar
- ¾ cup butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 ¾ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ½ cups egg whites
- 1 ½ cups plain yogurt
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees and grease the loaf pan.
- In a mixer, combine the sugar, butter, salt, and baking soda; mix on high speed for 5 minutes.
- Add the egg whites slowly, scraping the bowl after each addition. Don’t over-mix; just make sure all ingredients are well combined.
- Add the yogurt and mix thoroughly.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder and add to the wet mixture.
- Pour into greased loaf pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove and cool on a baking rack.
Strawberry Nut Sauce
- ¼ pound unsalted butter (room temperature)
- ¼ pound light brown sugar
- 2 pints strawberries (sliced)
- 4 tablespoons pistachios
- Melt butter in medium size sauté pan over low heat, then add sugar and heat until dissolved.
- Add sliced strawberries and pistachios and sauté for 1 minute; set aside.
NORMA’S Devonshire cream
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup Devonshire cream (If Devonshire cream is not available, use an additional ½ cup heavy cream)
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Combine all ingredients.
- Whip on medium speed until peaks are formed.
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips
Using a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips approximately 5-8 minutes; set aside while keeping warm.
French Toast Batter
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ tablespoon Grand Marnier
- 4 tablespoons clarified butter (regular butter can be used if clarified butter is not available)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Add the heavy cream and Grand Marnier; set aside.
1 chocolate yogurt loaf
French toast batter
- Slice bread into ½“ slices.
- Soak bread thoroughly with French toast batter. Drain the excess batter.
- Cook over medium heat in a non-stick pan for approximately 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Place one piece of toast on a plate and top with strawberry nut sauce.
- Repeat two additional times until you have built your “tower of toast”; top it off by covering with the remaining strawberry nut sauce.
- Drizzle chocolate sauce on top of the tower and finish with a dollop of NORMA’S Devonshire Cream.