NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The Ridgewood and Forest Hills sections of Queens were on alert Tuesday night, because thieves have ransacked 14 homes in just two months.
Police believe the same burglars are responsible for the break-ins. In each case, they struck during the day, stealing cash, jewelry and other valuables.
One victim, who was too afraid to reveal her identity, told CBS 2’s Hazel Sanchez that the thieves broke into her home in the middle of the afternoon earlier this month.
“Things were opened. Drawers were opened. Lights were on. And then I realized the window was broken,” the woman said. “It’s a horrible feeling; something you don’t get over.”
And the latest burglary victim, Joy Wang, said she has been a nervous wreck since her home was targeted on Saturday.
“The back door is forced open. All the lights are on, and everything is messed up,” Wang said. “It’s scary. I could not sleep for two days.”
Since late February, thieves have hit homes between Metropolitan Avenue and Fleet Street, and between 69th and Continental avenues, police said earlier this month.
Police have increased patrols in the neighborhood, and have urged residents to keep their doors and windows locked at all times.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories:
- Storms And Tides Converge To Turn Coastal Communities Into Flooded Mess
- Victory For Outsiders In New Hampshire As Sanders, Trump Win Primaries; Kasich Second For GOP
- Bernie Sanders: ‘When We Stand Together, We Win’
- Chris Christie Heading Back To New Jersey To Take Stock Of Campaign Following Poor Primary Showing