Reports: Jets Expected To Keep Mark Sanchez Around For Training Camp
Jets CentralShop for Jets Gear
Buy Jets Tickets
NEW YORK SPORTS HEADLINES
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – It appears Mark Sanchez won’t be joining Tim Tebow on the unemployment line — at least for now.
The Jets’ embattled quarterback “is not expected to be released” prior to the start of training camp in Cortland, Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reported via Twitter. On Sunday, Newsday’s Bob Glauber tweeted that the Jets would likely keep Sanchez around into the preseason.
Tebow was cut by the team on Monday. ESPN previously reported the Jets would consider releasing Sanchez after New York selected West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith in the second round of the draft.
David Garrard will also get a good look at QB this summer, and Greg McElroy and Matt Simms are also on the roster.
Jets general manager John Idzik said during a radio interview Tuesday that a “focused” and “energized” Sanchez is “in the competition” at quarterback.
Many believe the Jets are only retaining Sanchez because of his hefty contract. The QB once known as “Sanchise” is due $8.25 million in 2013, counting $12.85 million against the cap. The Jets would take a cap hit of $12.35 million in ’13 and $4.8 million in ’14 if the 26-year-old is cut as a June 1 designation.
Sanchez has been given “no indication” the Jets are thinking about a breakup, the Daily News reported Monday, adding the quarterback “has not requested to be released or traded.”
Sanchez regressed for the second straight season in 2012, piling up 18 interceptions and 14 fumbles. Former NFL quarterback Jeff Garcia has been working with Sanchez this offseason to prepare him for new offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg’s system.
“Mark knows what I think about him. … I have spoken to him (since drafting Smith). We speak quite often. He understands that this is competition now. Let’s rock and roll,” Mornhinweg said, according to the Daily News.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories