2 In The Kitchen: Coddled Egg With Bacon & Crab Grits
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – It’s not your ordinary egg dish. Executive Chef Floyd Cardoz from North End Grill in Manhattan’s Battery Park City stopped by the CBS 2 studios to make coddled egg with bacon and crab grits.
For more information on North End Grill, click here.
Click here for a printable version of this recipe (.pdf)
CODDLED EGG WITH BACON, CRAB & GRITS
- 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive oil or bacon fat
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- ¼ cup celery root, diced
- 1 one inch piece of Pasilla de Oaxaca or chipotle chile
- 1 cup leeks, washed, cut in half, and sliced half moons
- 1 whole stem of thyme
- 1 two inch piece of rosemary
- ¼ cup bacon lardons
- ½ cup Muir Glen fire roasted tomatoes, diced
- 1½ cups grits, cooked with chicken stock, butter and salt
- ½ cup crab meat, picked of shells
- 1 sprig tarragon, chopped
- Salt & pepper
- 4 eggs
For the Grits
1. Mix ½ cup grits with 2 ¼ cups chicken stock, 1 tablespoon of butter and ½ teaspoon salt in a saucepan.
2. Set the stove to high and bring the grits to a boil.
3. Cover the post and lower the temperature to simmer.
4. Simmer the grits until all the water is absorbed and the grits develop a smooth and creamy texture – about 45 minutes.
1. Place a stew pot over moderate heat, add the olive oil and garlic and cook slowly
2. When the garlic is light gold in color, add the ginger, celery root, and pasilla or chipotle and cook for 2 minutes
3. Next, add the leeks and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes
4. Add the thyme, rosemary, bacon and fire roasted tomatoes and continue to cook for about five minutes
5. Add the grits, plus a couple of spoons of chicken stock, and continue to cook. Please note that the mixture should be slightly thick, not runny
6. Fold in the crab meat gently, making sure not to break up the meat. Add tarragon and season to taste with salt and pepper
7. Take off heat and remove pasilla, thyme and rosemary stems. This could be done up to a day in advance
8. Fill 4 oven-proof baking dishes with the warm mixture. Top each baking dish off with one egg and place in a 400 degree oven. When the egg white is cooked, remove from oven. Finish the dish with coarsely cracked black pepper and sea salt