NEW YORK (WLNY) — Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with this pomegranate and pineapple guacamole this weekend.
Pomegranate & Pineapple Guacamole
To make the guacamole:
1 avocado, pitted and diced
1 teaspoon lime juice
2 tablespoons of diced plum tomato, cut into petals and diced
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons diced jalapenos
4 tablespoons diced white onion
1. Combine ½ of the jalapenos, cilantro and onions and grind with pestle in a molcajete. Add avocado and other ingredients and mix together. Add jalapenos for garnish.
To make the Pomegranate & Grilled Pineapple Salad (the guacamole’s topping)
3 tablespoon of pomegranate seeds
3 tablespoon grilled pineapple
2 tablespoons pomegranate juice (to be reduced)
1. Add 2 tablespoons pomegranate juice to a small pot and bring to a simmer. Continue simmering until it is reduced by half to about 1 tablespoon. Let cool.
2. Preheat a barbecue grill. Trim, core, and peel the fresh pineapple, cut leaves off the top and cut into quarters from top to bottom. Spray the grill rack with non-stick cooking spray, and place pineapple wedges on the grill. Cook approximately 4 minutes on each side (turning so the grill marks are on all sides). Dice into small cubes.
3. Combine the pomegranate seeds, pineapple, and cooled pomegranate juice together and refrigerate for at least an hour.
4. When ready to serve, top guacamole with pomegranate and pineapple salad