CBS2-Header-Logo WFAN 1010WINS WCBS tiny WLNYLogo

News

Smoking Light Bulb At Harlem School Sends 11 To Hospital

Angry Parent: 'They Knew That This Was A Problem A Long Time Ago'
View Comments
St. Vincent's Hospital In Manhattan To Close

TRI-STATE NEWS HEADLINES

From our newsroom to your inbox weekday mornings at 9AM.
Sign Up

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Nine students and two adults were hospitalized Tuesday, after a light bulb began emitting smoke at a public school in Harlem.

The light fixture in question was in a third-floor classroom at Harlem Success Academy/P.S. 123 Mahalia Jackson, located at 301 W. 140th St.

The building was evacuated at around 11:15 a.m., the city Department of Education told 1010 WINS. Nine students from P.S. 123 and two adults were taken to Harlem Hospital.

“It stinks very bad. It’s like gases, and it’s coming from the light bulb, and it’s spreading everywhere,” said Elizabeth, 11, a fifth grader at the school.

Students and staff were allowed back into the building at 11:45 a.m., except the classroom where the blub was smoking.

Elizabeth’s mother, Mary, told 1010 WINS the light bulb had been neglected.

“They knew that this was a problem a long time ago, and they were supposed to fix this a long time ago,” she said.

Eva Moskowitz, founder and chief executive officer of Success Academy Charter Schools, said an investigation has been launched.

“It’s very important that panic does not rule the day. We need to get to the bottom of this and we’re working to get the Department of Education to investigate ASAP,” she said in a statement.

Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com:

View Comments