Malloy and Bloomberg met in the second-floor bullpen.
“There is a certain reality that America’s got to get used to that guns aren’t making you safer in your house. They’re increasing precipitously the opportunity for your child to kill themselves or someone else,” Malloy said following his half-hour conversation with Bloomberg. “There’s a reality that 19,000 people are going to commit suicide because there’s a gun in their house. And if there wasn’t a gun in that house and they didn’t commit suicide at that time, their chances of committing suicide at any time decreases by 90 percent.”
The mayor added he’s still looking for Congress to pass universal background checks, a gun trafficking measure and a straw purchase bill.
The wide-ranging legislation Conn. lawmakers passed in the wake of the Dec. 14 massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown extends the state’s assault weapons ban to include more guns, bans large-capacity ammunition magazines and expands background checks, among other initiatives.
Bloomberg has worked with some family members of the 26 victims at Sandy Hook to push for stronger federal gun control laws. He is also a co-founder of Mayors Against Illegal Guns, a group that includes more 850 mayors from 44 states.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories:
- Hillary Clinton Slams Bernie Sanders On Gun Control Record
- Calls For More Safety, Metal Detectors Following Multiple Incidents Of Guns In NYC Schools
- Obama Tears Up, Calls For ‘Sense Of Urgency’ While Unveiling Executive Actions On Gun Control
- Connecticut To Block Gun Sales To Those On No-Fly List
- King Calls Obama’s Oval Office Speech ‘Pitiful,’ De Blasio Praises President
- Christie Calls New York Times Editorial On Gun Laws ‘Typical Liberal Claptrap’
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)