Coney Island Mermaid Parade Will Happen This Year
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) - Coney Island’s extravagant Mermaid Parade is back on track.
Organizers of the Brooklyn event raised the money they needed to hold this year’s event on June 22.
Nearly $102,000 was raised during a month-long Kickstarter campaign that continues until June 3. More than 2,300 people have donated so far.
“It went viral. The mermaid maniacs have to have their parade,” parade founder Dick Zigun told WCBS 880’s Peter Haskell.
The parade was canceled after organizers said they couldn’t afford the $400,000 worth of damage from superstorm Sandy to the beachfront community.
The Mermaid Parade began in 1983. It features revelers in skimpy Mardi Gras-style costumes.
“It’s morale, but it’s also money and it comes from the arts. Everybody wins,” Zigun said.
He added that they don’t want blatant nudity, but artistic nudity is fine.
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories