A-Rod Issues Statement As MLB’s Biogenesis Probe Gains Steam
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Alex Rodriguez says he will “monitor the situation and comment when appropriate” as baseball’s investigation into an alleged PED-peddling clinic in Florida appears to be gaining traction.
A bombshell report Tuesday night said Biogenesis of America operator Anthony Bosch has agreed to cooperate with MLB’s probe, and the league is seeking a possible 100-game ban for A-Rod and others tied to the performance-enhancing drug scandal.
“Myself and others are being mentioned in a media report before the process is even concluded,” Rodriguez said in a statement Thursday. “I would hope this thing would follow the guidelines of our Basic Agreement. I will monitor the situation and comment when appropriate.”
In January, the Miami New Times reported A-Rod’s name was listed multiple times in the reported records of Biogenesis. The Yankees star, recovering from offseason hip surgery, has denied any relationship with Bosch.
“As I have said previously, I am working out every day to get back on the field and help the Yankees win a championship,” Rodriguez said. “I am down here doing my job and working hard and will continue to do so until I’m back playing.”
Milwaukee Brewers star Ryan Braun and Yankees catcher Francisco Cervelli were among the other players linked to the clinic. A league executive told CBS News that Bosch could implicate up to 25 players, including some stars not currently named in the firestorm.
MLB investigators are interviewing players with ties to the Biogenesis scandal. Union head Michael Weiner said in a statement Wednesday that the commissioner’s office “has assured us that no decisions regarding discipline have been made or will be made until those interviews are completed.”
A-Rod admitted in 2009 to using steroids while with the Texas Rangers.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories