Yankees First-Round Draft Pick Ian Clarkin Apologizes For Anti-Yankee Comments
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — A talented high school pitcher taken by the New York Yankees in the first round of the Major League Baseball draft is apologizing for comments that barbed the team.
Ian Clarkin was picked by the Bombers 33rd overall Thursday night. Right after being chosen, MLB Network showed a video in which the 18-year-old from California said he “cannot stand” the Yankees.
On a conference call Friday, Clarkin said he was sorry. He said the remarks were taken out of context and meant to tease his mother, a diehard Yankees fan. Clarkin took after his father, a Pittsburgh Pirates fan who despises the Yankees.
“First and foremost, I want to apologize to all the Yankee fans for my comments,” Clarkin said.
Clarkin was shown recalling his reaction to the Arizona Diamondbacks beating the Yankees in Game 7 of the 2001 World Series.
“I cannot stand the Yankees, so I was actually in tears, I was so happy,” Clarkin said on the video.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- Yankees’ Brutal Last Week Ends With Another Loss, But They Will Host Wild Card Game
- Mets Edge Nationals To Finish Regular Season With 90 Wins
- Yogi Berra Remembered At Museum Memorial Event
- Manning Throws 3 TDs As Giants Handle Undisciplined Bills
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)