WOODBURY, N.J. (CBSNewYork/AP) — A fire in southern New Jersey is being blamed on a homeowner’s battle against bedbugs.
The Woodbury homeowner was using a space heater, a hair dryer and a heat gun Tuesday to try to eradicate the pests in a second-floor bedroom. The combination sparked a fire, a county spokeswoman said.
The federal Environmental Protection Agency said very high, sustained heat can kill bedbugs, but raising the temperature with the thermostat or space heaters won’t do the job. The EPA said special equipment is needed.
Woodbury Fire Marshal Joseph Buono said that quick Internet remedies for killing bedbugs are a “catastrophe in the making,” and advised calling professionals.
The homeowner was hospitalized with unspecified injuries. He was not identified.
Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com:
- FDNY Lt. Christopher Raguso Remembered With Bunting Ceremony At Firehouse, Yellow Ribbons In Hometown
- #SleevesUp: Over A Foot Of Snow Expected In Parts Of Tri-State Area As Residents Brace For Another Nor’easter
- President Trump Welcomes Crown Prince Of Saudi Arabia To White House
- Police Fatally Shoot Armed Suspect Following Standoff At Panera Bread Near Princeton University
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)