Two Of New York’s Strongest Lose Jobs Over $5 Tip
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) – Two longtime New York City sanitation workers have lost their jobs for accepting a small tip from a resident.
The city Conflicts of Interest Board fined the two men $2,000 each and retired them from the agency.
The two workers, Robert Bracone and Rene Torres, are accused of accepting $5 each on Dec. 12, 2011 from a Queens resident who left a huge amount of garbage at the curb.
Bracone had been a sanitation worker since 1986; Torres since 1990, the New York Times reported.
Both men earned over $100,000 including overtime in 2011 as two of New York’s Strongest, according to a website that tracks municipal employee salaries.
The Times reported that according to the workers’ statements provided by the conflicts board, the men asked for $20. However, the resident said he had only $10. The two workers picked up the garbage and then collected the money.
The agency has a strict policy against accepting tips, and the department said soliciting or accepting a bribe violates New York City law.
A spokesperson for the Sanitation Department told the Times it was unclear what kind of punishment the workers might have faced since they left their jobs before the case was resolved.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- Man Charged In Brooklyn Rape That Left Woman With Lost Teeth
- Elderly Newark Woman Struck By Car During Police Chase, Hospitalized In Serious Condition
- NYPD’s Miller: Gunman In Killings Of Va. Reporter, Cameraman A ‘Classic Injustice Collector’
- Jerry Seinfeld’s Family Lemonade Stand Shut Down By Police On L.I.; Instagram Post Goes Viral
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)