Marcus Camby: I Didn’t Get ‘Meaningful Opportunity’ With Knicks

Veteran Part Of Reported Package For Bargnani

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Knicks center Marcus Camby says he may have to evaluate his options if he’s traded to the Toronto Raptors in a package for former No. 1 pick Andrea Bargnani.

The Knicks have agreed to send Camby, Steve Novak and draft picks to Toronto for Bargnani, according to multiple reports. But the deal reportedly needs to be adjusted in order to receive NBA approval.

“It’s unfortunate that I wasn’t given a meaningful opportunity to contribute last season in New York,” Camby said in a statement, according to Newsday. “I was really looking forward to the upcoming year as a chance to show the organization what they missed out on last year, and pushing our team towards the Finals.”

Camby signed a three-year deal with New York in 2012, though his second stint with the Knicks was marred by injuries and ineffectiveness. The 39-year-old played in 24 regular-season games as backup to Tyson Chandler (four starts). His court time in three playoff games totaled just 3:14.

Camby was drafted No. 2 overall by Toronto in 1996.

“I have nothing but positive things to say about the city of Toronto and its great fans, having been drafted by the Raptors 17 years ago,” Camby said. “Given that my goal at this point in my career is to have a shot at a championship, however, I’ll have to evaluate my options going forward. I’ve enjoyed a great career and under the right circumstances I hope to continue making an impact in the league.”

You May Also Be Interested In These Stories

Giving Tuesday
Charles Osgood Event

Listen Live