Yankees

Cervelli Shut Down For Two Weeks

Probably Won't Return To The Yankees Until August
(Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images)

(Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images)

New York Yankees
Upcoming Games

Buy Yankees Tickets Full Schedule
Yankees Central
Shop for Yankees Gear
Buy Yankees Tickets

MLB Scoreboard
MLB Standings
Team STATS
Team Schedule
Team Roster
Team Injuries

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — New York Yankees catcher Francisco Cervelli will likely need another month before he’s back with the team.

Manager Joe Girardi said Thursday that an MRI test on Cervelli revealed a stress reaction in his right elbow. He has been shut down from activity for two weeks. Girardi said the injury arose in the last few days and acknowledged the 27-year-old probably won’t return to the Yankees until August. A stress reaction is the precursor to a stress fracture.

Cervelli has been doing rehabilitation work for a broken right hand that occurred in late April. He played in 16 games at the start of the season but has been out since then. Cervelli was making progress, throwing regularly and taking batting practice, until getting hurt this week.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

You May Also Be Interested In These Stories