Affordable Tips To Help Transform Your Home
NEW YORK (WLNY) – Acclaimed interior designer and expert on the design show “Property Envy,” Mary McDonald, showed The Couch how to add style to a home in an affordable way.
“There’s so many ways you can collect things that are vintage, and things that were from your family,” McDonald said.
McDonald shared some tips about furniture, accessories and creatively re-accessorizing:
Simply change your coffee table books with the seasons. Decorating with books can really elevate the look of your space. Pretty coffee table books add a touch of warmth for tables, and it really adds a collected look.
- Crate & Barrel – Crosby Lantern; $59.95
- Crate & Barrel -Careen Lantern; $19.95
- Vintage Jar; $10
- ABC Home Bronze Magnifying Stand; $200
- Pottery Barn Hyannis Tray; $119
- Crate & Barrel Olive Bowl; $9.95
- Ralph Lauren Silver Box; $250
- Ralph Lauren Silver Oblong Box; $250
- Ralph Lauren Blue & White Bowl; $55
Replacing throws and pillows in your living space is such a simple update. Try mixing up textures to add more depth. For example, a mohair throw. I also love customized accents like appliques and tapes. I’ve created appliques which can be applied to pillows, chair skirts, etc. for my collection with Schumacher. My appliques are a really easy way to add a custom look to a solid pillow.
- Schumacher applique; $100
- Pottery Barn Suzani Pillow Cover; $69.50
- Pottery Barn Hide Pillow; $129.50
- Pottery Barn Mohair Ambre Throw; $59
High / Low Accessorizing
Re-accessorizing your tables can dramatically change up the feel of a room. When I am creating a tablescape on a console, wall table, dining table, or even a desk, I always make sure to have what is referred to as “visual relief.” I do this by pairing different heights – mixing tall lamps, then a medium sized plant with a low to medium sized decorative box and some even lower decorative or glass objects. Don’t be afraid to place large objects on your tables as long as you are also mixing with medium and small items to add balance and visual interest.
- Robert Abbey Lamp
- West Elm Sphere; $39
- Lillian August Hourglass; $55
- Pottery Barn Pocket Watch Alarm Clock; $49
- West Elm White Ceramic Jug Vase; $39
- West Elm White Ceramic Egg Vase; $10
- West Elm White Ceramic Bottle Vase; $10
- Lillian August Decanter; $195
“Property Envy” airs Tuesdays at 10 p.m. on Bravo.
For more, check out the video.