Dozens March Against Gun Violence In South Brooklyn
NEW YORK(CBSNewYork) — Dozens marched in Crown Heights, Brooklyn on Saturday to reach out to victims and bring an end to gun violence.
South Brooklyn has been rocked by violence in 2013, experiencing 37 murders so far this year, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal. That number falls just short of the total recorded in all of the Bronx, the Journal reported. By comparison, in 2012 the Bronx saw more than twice the number of homicides that South Brooklyn had recorded.
“It’s very important that we are role models, as a man to model to the younger, to the youth and to other men who may be feeling some sort of aggression,” Ronny told WCBS 880′s Monica Miller, as he pushed his 8-month-old son Sammy in a stroller.
The March was organized by Amy Ellenbogen from Save Our Streets, also known as S.O.S.
“Men are the most likely to be victims of gun violence, and most likely to be perpetrators of gun violence, and there is a strong role for them in stopping it,” she said.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- NYPD: Robbery Suspect Forces 90-Year-Old Victim To Drive To ATMs To Get Money
- De Blasio Says Full Investigation Needed In Case Of S.I. Man Who Died In Police Custody
- Jeter Launches Luvo Food Truck, Gets Taste Of Life After Baseball
- Hundreds Expected For Funeral Of Waldwick Police Officer Killed In Crash