New Q Bridge Span Opens To Traffic In New Haven
NEW HAVEN, Conn. (CBSNewYork/AP) – Commuter traffic at the start of the work week along I-95 and I-91 in New Haven should be a little easier – or at least, not as bad – than initially expected with construction at the Q Bridge.
As Connecticut Bureau Chief Fran Schneidau reported, the old Quinnipiac Bridge is now a thing of the past.
The state Department of Transportation says work on the highways southbound was completed on Sunday instead of Monday, when it was expected to finish.
Gov. Dannel P. Malloy and federal, state and local officials marked the opening of the southbound lane at a ceremony on Monday afternoon.
I-95 southbound traffic had to be shifted onto temporary I-95 lanes of the new Pearl Harbor Memorial Bridge, allowing demolition of the old Q Bridge.
“So now everything’s on one span. We’re going to build a second span and the we’ll split the traffic again,” state DOT Commissioner Jim Redeker told Schneidau.
Officials last year opened the northbound side of the Q Bridge.
Redeker said there will be two new spans built – one northbound, one southbound – by the time the project is completed in three years.
“By 2016, essentially the bridge will have doubled the capacity that we have today, and traffic congestion should be significantly alleviated,” said Redeker.
He added the project has so far come in under budget and ahead of schedule.
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- Search On For Forcible Touching Suspect In The Bronx
- School Bus Overturns In Brooklyn Crash With Taxi
- Off-Duty NYPD Officer Accused Of Punching Man In The Bronx
- Steven Hayes, Cheshire Home Invasion Killer, Found Unresponsive In Cell
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)