WEINER STAYING IN MAYOR’S RACE AFTER CAMPAIGN MANAGER QUITS
His campaign manager has resigned and his political peers have harsh words for him, but Weiner has vowed to stay in the race.
Weiner confirmed that campaign manager Danny Kedem resigned Saturday after reports surfaced that Weiner continued to exchange lewd photos and messages with women despite resigning from Congress in 2011 over the same behavior.
“We have an amazing staff, but this isn’t about the people working on the campaign. It’s about the people we’re campaigning for,” Weiner said Sunday after speaking at a Brooklyn church.
He said he would keep talking about “ideas for the middle class and people struggling to make it every single day” and added, “We knew this was going to be a tough campaign.”
Kedem, 31, was credited with helping Weiner pull into the lead among the crowded field of Democratic primary candidates before the latest revelations about Weiner’s raunchy online exchanges with women.
He had managed the re-election of John DeStefano Jr. to a 10th term as mayor of New Haven in 2011 and worked on Hillary Clinton’s failed 2008 presidential campaign.
Politicians in and outside the mayor’s race have been blunt in their assessment of Weiner’s fitness to run city government.
On CNN’s “State of the Union,” Long Island Rep. Peter King, the target of a blistering 2010 attack from Weiner over a bill to provide free medical services for World Trade Center recovery workers, said Weiner is “not psychologically qualified to be mayor of the city of New York.”
Rival mayoral candidates are also weighing in.
“It’s over, I think he should just resign, go away, take care of his family and just move on,” John Catsimatidis said.
Christine Quinn called Weiner’s behavior “reckless.”
“I think clearly we’ve seen a pattern of reckless behavior, an inability to tell the truth and a real lack of maturity and responsibility,” she said Sunday.
Unlike other candidates who have urged Weiner to end his campaign, Quinn said opponents should not “say who should or shouldn’t get in and out of races.”
But she questioned whether he is the right person to lead the city.
“Has he disqualified himself? Yes, he’s disqualified himself,” Quinn said. “But not just because of these scandals, though that certainly has. He didn’t have the qualifications when he was in Congress.”
Liu was somewhat more reserved and said that Weiner should do whatever is best for himself.
“Obviously there are a lot of issues Anthony has to deal with, with regards to his campaign and his life and he should make the best decision for himself,” Liu said.
Just last month, Kedem emailed supporters saying he was proud to work for Weiner. No word yet on his replacement.
Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com:
- Police Arrest 25-Year-Old Man In Shooting Of Hasidic Teen In Harriman
- Statue Returned To Greenwich Village Church After Theft Is Caught On Camera
- Ready, Set, Shop! Millions Hit The Malls To Score Black Friday Deals
- 2 Dead, 5 Rescued After Pontoon Boat Capsizes In Waters Off Manasquan
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)