CBS2-Header-Logo WFAN 1010WINS WCBS tiny WLNYLogo

News

More Sandy-Ravaged Homeowners To Get Reimbursements With New Rules

Homeowners Previously Couldn't Receive Funds After Making Repairs
A destroyed home along the Jersey Shore more than six months after Superstorm Sandy hit - May 14, 2013 (credit: John Moore/Getty Images)

A destroyed home along the Jersey Shore more than six months after Superstorm Sandy hit – May 14, 2013 (credit: John Moore/Getty Images)

TRI-STATE NEWS HEADLINES

From our newsroom to your inbox weekday mornings at 9AM.
Sign Up

MIDDLETOWN, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — A lot more homeowners who repaired damage related to Superstorm Sandy are now in line for federal reimbursement.

As WCBS 880’s Levon Putney reported, U.S. Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.) on Friday praised the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development for changing the rules for Community Development Block Grant funding. The new rules allow New Jersey residents who have begun rebuilding their homes to apply for block grant funding.

“Now, with new guidance from HUD, that homeowner can apply for federal assistance to help cover the cost of repairs,” Menendez said.

Previously, homeowners had to wait for months to get their applications approved before even starting the rebuilding process.

Michael Finnegan’s family in the Port Monmouth section of Middletown, N.J., was hit hard by the storm.

“My wife and I were immediately motivated to chart a course to repair and get back home by any means available to us,” he said.

Like so many others, Finnegan’s family got to work after the storm, repairing damaged structures before federal dollars trickled in. Finnegan said he spent $100,000 elevating his home.

“Up until now, it was pretty clear that there was little hope for us to be reimbursed for these costs,” he said.

Menendez also said more rounds of Sandy relief are on the way.

Check Out These Other Stories From CBSNewYork.com: