Toys That Teach: Fun, Educational Gadgets And Games For Kids
TRI-STATE NEWS HEADLINES
NEW YORK (WLNY) – Let’s talk toys.
There are some great products out there that are entertaining and educational. The “Toy Insider” Mom, Laurie Schacht, joined us on The Couch with some great Toys that Teach.
• LeapReader, is a complete learn to read and write solution for kids.
• Kids will sound out words and read sentences, learn to write letters with interactive guidance, and listen to audio books, music and more on-the-go.
• The LeapReader solution includes three essential experiences:
• Learn to Read: Sounds out words, reads sentences, and lets kids play games and puzzles.
• Learn to Write: LeapReader helps kids learn the sequence of strokes and practice writing letters and numbers with special LeapFrog Learning Paper.
• Learn through Listening: Audio books, learning songs and trivia challenges build comprehension skills and vocabulary.
• A library of 150+ books, workbooks, audio books and more.
• Available in green and pink and Includes a USB rechargeable battery.
• Holds audio for up to 40 books or 175 songs.
• Just hitting shelves this month
• Ages: 4-8
• MSRP: $49.99
ABC ADVENTURE ELEFUN (Hasbro)
• Little ones can learn to build vital connections between first words, sounds and the alphabet with the new ABC ADVENTURE ELEFUN toy!
• The adorable character can teach infants 100+ first words through 75+ sounds effects, tunes and activities!
• With one easy press of the trunk, scroll through the images to start the play! When the image stops it will light up and the ELEFUN character will say a related word and phrase followed by a sound associated with the image.
• Kids can also spin the barrel for additional related words and sounds and lift the elephant’s ear to see the letter associated with the image.
• For even more learning fun, pull down on the mouse to reveal a shape and or color and hear its name and color or slide the butterfly to hear numbers one through ten!
• Requires three AA alkaline batteries
• Ages: 6-36 months
• MSRP: $29.99
First Builders Billy Beats Dancing Piano (Mega Bloks)
• Kids can learn just how much fun building and music can be together as they dance and play along.
• Press the light-up block keys and watch Billy dance and play 1 of 8 different songs that your child can dance along to.
• Billy will teach your child how to play his songs by following his blinking keys, and how to read sheet music by letting them build and play their own songs.
• Billy’s First Builders’ design is compatible with all First Builders blocks and store
• away securely under his big red hat.
• The piano has three different modes of musical play: Dance with Billy, Teach Me,
• and Free Play; on/off and volume control; and Cool Piano, Whacky DJ and my Animal sounds.
• Age: 1+
• MSRP $39.99
Roll & Learn Activity Suitcase™ (VTech)
• This travel-themed learning suitcase features an interactive activity panel on its front with four light-up piano keys, a removable phone, fun dog character, spinning gears and more for imaginative play.
• Children can open it to pack their things, and an easy-grab handle lets them take their fun on-the-go.
• Your little travelers will learn first words, greetings in English and Spanish, modes of transportation and famous places as well as strengthen their fine and gross motor skills.
• The suitcase includes more than 30 melodies and sing-along songs.
• Ages: 12 months+
• MSRP: $36.99
Laugh & Learn™ Puppy & Friends Learning Table from Fisher-Price
This bi-lingual activity table features all of baby’s favorite Laugh & Learn characters. Interactive content encourages baby to cruise around the table to learn and play.
• After baby stops playing with one activity, another activity will light up and speak to baby—encouraging him or her to move around the table.
• Features a laptop that opens and closes for realistic role-play, an interactive first words book, a counting phone with detachable receiver, and piano keys.
• Features 4 modes of play, 1.)Learning, 2.)Music, 3.)Imagination and 4.)Bilingual.
• There are over 60 sung-songs, tunes & phrases for lots of learning fun. If baby can’t walk yet, not to worry! The legs can also be detached for sit-at play. (a Grow w Me toy) Requires 3 “AA” batteries, not included.
• Ages: 6-36 months
Disney Creativity Studio and Smart Stylus (KIDdesigns)
• A creative experience with Disney characters you know
• Learn to draw: real Disney artists teach you how to draw your favorite characters in step-by-step tutorials
• The Smart Stylus allows you to access more than five different drawing tools, flip the stylus to erase, or shake the stylus for “magical” art effects
• More than 45 unique “pages” of activities like tracing, connect the dots, and coloring
• Smart Stylus connects wirelessly with the iPad
• Save and share creations with friends and family
• Ages: 3+
• MSRP: $39.99
Back 2 Back (Smart Toys)
• This is a single player logic game that takes puzzle building vertical with a unique grid-shaped vertical game board.
• Players must attempt to fill both sides of the grid with the 11 colorful and varied puzzle pieces.
• The game features a handy travel case and a booklet with 60 challenges for testing even the sharpest minds.
• Ages: 7+
• MSRP $14.99
7 Ate 9 (Out of the Box Publishing)
Players add or subtract 1, 2, or 3 to the number
on the top card on the pile to determine if they
have a card that can be played next.
First player to get rid of his or her cards wins.
Two to four players
Mindstorms EV3 (Lego)
• The LEGO Mindstorms EV3 set includes more than 550 LEGO Technic elements, which can be used to create robots that walk, talk, think,
• and more.
• Kids follow 3-D building instructions to build the robots, and control them using the enclosremote or a smart device (free app available for download).
• These robotic creations can be shared online at LEGO.com/mindstorms. Bonus building instructions developed by fans and endorsed by LEGO can be downloaded from the same site.
• Age: 10+
• MSRP $349.99