NEW YORK (WFAN) — Former Jets linebacker Bart Scott is taking his “media mutiny” into overtime.
Scott joined WFAN radio’s “Boomer & Carton” show on Tuesday to talk about his former team and his transition from the playing field to CBS Sports Network’s “That Other Pregame Show.”
But first he had some strong words for the New York media, which he pledged to boycott — even though he still won’t call it a boycott — in 2012.
“In that locker room, there’s a bunch of jerks in there,” Scott said. “There’s a lot of people that go about business the wrong way. I didn’t want to deal with that, and I thought, let’s not deal with them. You can’t not deal with them and talk to other media because they’ll put up a complaint against you. So the best thing was just to go against everybody, and the good kind of get bottled in with the bad.”
Scott, Craig Carton and Boomer Esiason discussed at length New York Daily News reporter Manish Mehta, who New Jersey Governor Chris Christie singled out for criticism during a guest-hosting gig on WFAN last week.
“Didn’t the Governor make a comment about him?” Scott said. “This is a guy in the New York media, you know, he’s always been decent to me but you’ve gotta keep it real. He’s trying to be somebody bigger than what he is. Everybody comes to New York with an agenda. Everybody has an agenda. He wants to become a superstar; he wants to be the next Adam Schefter or he wants to be the next big-time reporter.”
Scott said Mehta is “trying to make a splash” to “get some attention.” The Daily News reporter has certainly shaken things up at Florham Park with his bombshell reports that have included anonymous Jets performing rip-jobs on their teammates.
“We didn’t think it was coming from anybody,” Scott said. “We thought they were made up, and we would say, look, put a name to it. Have some integrity. Don’t allow somebody to have an anonymous source. Make somebody man up. If you can allow people — if it was somebody — to hide behind an anonymous source, then you give them the gateway for cowards to go out and make statements.”
More from Scott:
— On Geno Smith vs. Mark Sanchez: “Let’s be honest, if Mark can’t go, he’s putting his future as a starter in the NFL in jeopardy. If Geno gets in there, he’s going to get a free pass because he’s a young quarterback.”
— On Jets bringing in Tim Tebow last year: “I understood exactly what they were trying to do when they did the Tim Tebow move. … He had beat us the year before. But you know, I think it was an admission by (former GM) Mike Tannenbaum that he should never have let Brad Smith get away.”
— On a toned-down Rex Ryan: “That’s not him. It doesn’t come off as authentic. I think it kind of took the confidence of the team down.”
— On Sanchez’s regression and lack of WRs: “He was on top of the world the first two years, but then every year they seemed to take his weapons away. … He was throwing to guys that I didn’t know their names. … ‘I worked out Tuesday, I’m the next starting receiver.’ I’m like, who’s this guy?”
You May Also Be Interested In These Stories
- LISTEN: Steve Mariucci Discusses Top NFL Draft Prospects Jared Goff, Carson Wentz On WFAN
- Report: Fitzpatrick Says He’d Rather Sit Out Season Than Accept Jets’ Offer
- Carmelo Anthony: It’s A ‘Problem’ If Knicks Are Conducting Narrow Coaching Search
- Raiders Owner Says He Will Put Up $500M Toward Las Vegas Stadium